May I do business?

Hello there and a very happy (rather chilly) Monday to you.

This weekend I went back home to Lichfield and had a lovely time with my parents. On Saturday I went through the plans I have for 'May I Design' and bless my folks they listened while I babbled on and then chatted through different ideas with me. (Thanks Mum and Dad you're both ace).

What I have decided to do is blog my way through the processes of setting up a small craft business. I am by no means an expert, and I know I'm going to make mistakes and experience challenges along the way. But I have dreamt of making and selling my designs since I was VERY young and have decided now is the time to really focus on doing just that. 

Ever since I can remember I have been doodling and decorating whatever surface I could lay my tiny mitts on, paper plates, school exercise books, drinking glasses and even kitchen roll. This has never left me and now I would LOVE to turn this into a small business. I don't plan to make millions (although that would be nice!) but if i can do it part-time I would be super proud!

I found this on pinterest, so true!

The problem, I'm finding out, is, to run your own business it's not as simple as creating beautifully decorated things, you have to be in charge of the finance, the marketing, the making, and every other bit in between.

 I am planning to launch 'May I Design' properly in the early parts of next year. And instead of being a secret squirrel and  doing everything behind the scenes it might be nice for both me (and hopefully) you to track the progress of a small craft business starting out. And if I can help and inspire any other designer/ makers along the way, then all the better.

So I'm going to do a series of blog posts called 'May I do business?' and bring my findings to you. 





If anyone out there is reading this and is just starting out too or has a more accomplished business and would like to give any advice of their own, please drop me an email here. I'd love to hear from you and possibly feature your advice in my blog too.

The crafting community is such a friendly one, I look forward to being a part of it.


Have a happy week,

see you soon xx